My first idea for this assignment came from a late evening shoot-out session in St Albans, Hertfordshire. I was staying in a country hotel for a work related event and decided to go out after dinner with the intention of finishing a roll of black and white film I had on my Nikon FM. My favorite resulting images are shown below:
The pictures were taken quite late at night, most of them after midnight and there was nearly no one on the streets. As I walked around the town taking pictures, I was feeling an inner sense of calm. At some point, street lights were switched off and I had to use my phone to illuminate the pavement briefly while my eyes adapted to the total darkness, yet somehow I did not feel scared of being in such remote place completely alone. It was at that point that it occurred to me I wanted to based my final assignment on suburban areas at night.
In the following nights I went out around my house to repeat the experience I had in St Albans, also late at night. This time equipped with a digital camera, I captured similar pictures (shown below) as well as other new ones that came to my mind as I walked, mostly alone.
As I looked at the requirements of the brief, I was not convinced I could build a successful series of pictures that I liked and that did not have elements in common or were sufficiently different from one another. There was also the issue that these pictures were also similar to the ones I took for my first assignment, which was also based on suburban life. In view of this, I decided to change track and put aside the project of suburbia at night for the time being and try a different subject for my final assignment.
——————– ooo ——————–
In parallel with the above, I started another project. This involved taking multiple exposures on a film camera, which I had never done before. The location I chose for my first test was the Barbican estate, in the City of London, a place I was familiar with and conveniently located near where I live. I divided my metered exposure by the number of exposures in each shot, but other than that did not make any adjustment. Some of my favorite shots are shown below.
Some of the pictures were not correctly exposed and ended up giving very thin negatives. In other cases one exposure clearly dominated the rest. But I was pleased enough by the results I got to take this idea forward. It was at this point that I decided to base the final assignment on the Barbican estate, using multiple exposures as a way of constructing a new point of view on the place different from what I have done before.